JOB PURPOSE: Senior Electrical Engineer
A new engineering team is being established in Washington DC to continue R&D, commercialisation, and support roll out of Faraday’s unique technology platform to North America. As a senior member of this team with a focus on electrical and hardware you will share responsibility for design and delivery of all physical design aspects of the project all the way through to full commercialisation.
In this role you will:
- Undertake scientific research and data acquisition to inform design pathway opportunities
- Complete sophisticated conceptual design based on functional and non-functional requirements
- Use advanced simulation tools to produce high fidelity models of electromagnetic and electronic systems, both static and dynamic
- Scope, design and document test plans
- Undertake lab based testing of physical hardware
- Design and implement algorithms for design optimisation
- Field test prototypes and interact with partner companies
- Utilise design by rationalised constraint methodology
- Analyse test data and iterate design schematics for improvement
- Work collaboration projects with partner universities in US and Europe
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Power systems and electrical knowledge and design ability
- Requirements analysis
- Static and dynamic simulation modelling and analysis
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise of the application of systems engineering
- Advanced systematic and logical problem solving skills.
- Engineering elegant solutions to allow us to process large amount of data on tight timescales
- An understanding of agile practices
- BEng / BSc Degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems, Physics or equivalent
- 3+ years experience in industry (or academic research) fields related to electrical and power systems design, implementation, and testing
- Experience using MATLAB Simulink or similar for systems design is essential
- Experience using Ansys Maxwell, COMSOL, or similar is highly desirable
- Team player, reliable
- Innovative and creative, does not hesitate to take initiative
- Rational thinker
- Open minded problem solver
Commensurate with experience. $90,000 to $120,000 with benefits.
Washington, D.C. USA
Applications may be sent to
BACKGROUND ON FARADAY GRID
Faraday Grid are designers of the energy ecosystem of the future. Conceived in Australia, established headquarters in Edinburgh, United Kingdom, Faraday attracts leaders in the fields of technology, economy, and engineering to join and enable sustainable prosperity through the redesign of the electricity network, the Faraday Grid.
As entering into the US Market, we are establishing an entirely new team, the center for Faraday’s US operations. This team of full functionality will build on the company’s existing IP but will have a chance to develop new material from first principles as well. Faraday’s ubiquitous technology unlocks unprecedented productivity within the energy system. Our US team will support local R&D and commercialization of this core technology.
The Faraday Grid is the next generation in electricity networks. It allows a more efficient use of electrical energy from generation through to consumption by addressing the issue of volatility from generation sources. Asynchronous and non-dispatchable sources directly alter the nature of the network and introduce instability and inefficiency. It helps to resolve the irreconcilable tension between targets for greater renewable energy integration and the demand for reliable affordable energy.
The Faraday Grid utilises a revolutionary new technology in the Faraday Exchanger. When distributed throughout the electricity network, each Faraday Exchanger dynamically controls the power flow within its region autonomously. This allows a higher penetration of renewable energy sources and maximizes grid efficiency and energy utilization by rapidly modulating power flow to reduce noise and maintain an efficient power factor. It is an entirely new device combining several established electrical engineering principles from different fields enabling the network to continuously operate at its peak efficiency.
It is a disruptive technology of system-wide significance, and yet one that is designed to be deployable incrementally on a replacement basis. As such, the transformation is analogous to the transition of the telephone system into the internet.
The approach we take to develop our technology is guided by Design by Rationalised ConstraintTM. This is a rigorous and exhaustive process that identifies the optimal design for a system according to the specific complex of constraints applicable to a particular intention and operation. By dynamically simulating constraints and their relationships it is possible to explore complexity and network effects and understand design implications and consequences. The intention of Design by Rationalised Constraint is to achieve a state of optimality closest to the opportunity defined by those knowable constraints that are in operation for the system of interest.